Ok guys. I'm so proud of myself right now it's actually kind of sad. How adorable is this animal head succulent planter I made?
DIY - Make this adorable clay animal planter for your mini succulents. Click to tweet.
Quite some time ago, I saw this super cute felt planter on Etsy and I really wanted to try making one with polymer clay. Last weekend, I finally found a plant, or succulent I should say, that resembles hair and I just knew I wanted to give the clay pot a shot.
So last night, I took out my polymer clay (which has been sitting around waiting to be used for much too long...) and made this super adorable bear head planter.
Have you ever tried making your own planter?
I also have some good news... I made my first Etsy shop sale this week! Yay! I'm so happy right now. I'm in the process of making more prints, some more elaborate than others so keep your eyes open and keep checking back. I'm really excited about this new development and it makes me want to branch out even more... so many possibilities!
Polymer clay (I used Sculpey original)
A little spoon (to scoop out excess clay)
Bake & bond (clay glue)
1. Warm up your clay by working it with your hands.
2. Make a large ball; slightly bigger than the pot you want to put in it.
3. Using a small spoon, lightly scoop out the excess clay from the top. I tried pressing and sculpting a hole into the ball but it got all squished and weirdly shaped. I strongly suggest scooping. Yes, it takes a bit longer, but the results are much nicer.
4. Roll a small ball of clay, flatten it and cut it in half. These pieces will be the ears of the bear.
5. Apply a bit of glue to the edge, place in on the vase and lightly scrape it in place.
6. Bake according to instructions.
7. Paint, seal with glaze and add your plant. Voila! c: